The Broadcasting Commission is an independent statutory agency falling under the ambit of the Minister with responsibility for Information. The Commission is mandated by the Broadcasting and Radio Re-diffusion Act (BRRA) to monitor and regulate free-to-air television, broadcast radio and subscriber television (Cable) services to ensure their operation at appropriate levels in relation to technical, programming, and service standards.
The Commission is specifically mandated to:
- Administer the BRRA and the Television and Sound Broadcasting Regulations (TSBR).
- Evaluate applications and make recommendations to the Minister for the grant of licences and the terms under which licenses should be granted and/ or renewed.
- Monitor whether the operations and the programming of licensees meet the standards set out in law or the terms and conditions of licence. Where a licensee is shown to be non-compliant, the Commission may either direct the licensee to air an apology or recommend to the Minister that the license be suspended or revoked.
- Provide advice to policy makers in the formulation of policies for the industry.
- Conduct research on all areas relating to the electronic media in Jamaica.